Monday, May 13, 2013

Vegan

If you've read my blog in the past, you will know that I was vegetarian for about 4 months last year. I really enjoyed it! It helped me lose a little weight, and I noticed I was having way more energy than when I was eating meat. But it was hard for me to stick to it after a while just because my family eats primarily meat and it just wasn't the right kind of environment to continue my vegetarian diet in.

But since I live on my own now and pay for my own groceries (what little I allow myself to buy, that is), I feel like I have the ability to try things again and really stick with it!

Only this time, I'm taking it a step further and going vegan. Which means no meat and no animal by-products (eggs, dairy products). I've been at it for almost two weeks now, and I am loving it! I have already lost 3 pounds, just from the change in diet.

I decided to do this again for several reasons. The main one being the health benefits. If you don't know what I mean by this, I recommend watching one of two very powerful documentaries. Forks Over Knives, and Vegucated. Both are extremely eye-opening and really show you how bad the modern diet is for our bodies. Another big reason is because of animal rights. I have never been a big advocate for animal rights, but after watching how these animals are treated and destroyed in our factory farming systems, it absolutely breaks my heart. There's no way I will be a part of that anymore. I can't bear to eat meat again. It disgusts me.

I will keep you updated on how this new change goes. Hopefully it all works out for the best. So far, everything is great. I haven't run into any major problems. I think I might actually be able to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment